Angel Mounds is located on the banks of the Ohio River in southwest Indiana, this historic site is one of the best-preserved, pre-contact Native American sites in North America. Built between A.D. 1050 and 1400, the town was occupied by 1,000 plus Mississippians. The society built 11 earthen mounds as platforms to elevate important buildings. The original town covered an area of 103 acres and served as an important religious, political and trade center for people living within a 75-mile radius.
The site was abandoned before European explorers came to North America. Possible explanations for abandonment are depletion of natural resources, climatic changes or the collapse of the chiefdom.
More than 600 acres comprise Angel Mounds State Historic Site. The site includes an interpretive center, recreations of the Mississippian buildings and a working reconstruction of the 1939 WPA archaeology laboratory. The 500-acre non-archaeological portion of the site contains a nature preserve with hiking and biking trails.
8215 Pollack Ave.
Evansville, IN 47715